When you build your Parenthood Playlist, you will have a way to refresh your soul when you need it most. Oh, my… there are so many songs written by parents for parents – not necessarily for the children. These sing to the heart of a parent and their experiences of loving their children.
These songs are part of MY “mommy rituals”. I have them on a Playlist on my phone called “PARENTHOOD”, for when I need to slow down, calm down, and remember the joys of parenting. Honestly, I kind of named it that because I loved watching the TV series by that name at the time I created it in 2013. They introduced a lot of amazing songs to me as well, leading out every episode with “Forever Young” by Bob Dylan. (Parenthood Soundtracks listed here.)
In our Kindermusik classes, we share many songs and activities that help establish ways to make our daily routines with our children into rituals that add that special touch of love. The following songs are part of MY ritual for reconnecting with with myself and my purpose. These songs help me step back from the RUSH of daily life, and from MY negative emotional responses to the regular annoying things children need to do to grow. These songs help me refocus on my love for my family, and how to let them BE children, and how to guide them to the positive end result of capable, responsible, caring adults. They help me be a better mom.
I have two favorite collections, one of which you can buy, the other is a made by a friend. Each have songs by different artists, so I’ll list them separately so you can find them.
There are a few more albums full of these kinds of songs that I love, and a few singles that I would recommend. You may be amazed at how many of these you may already have in your collections. PLEASE add your favorites in the comment section so we can all find these gems!
Hand in Hand – Songs of Parenthood – A collection by Music for Little People Find it on Amazon .
- Circle Game – Joni Mitchell
- On Children – Sweet Honey in the Rock
- The Things We’ve Handed Down – Marc Cohn
- Baby – Bobby McFerrin
- Wake Up – Yoko Ono
- Beautiful Boy – John Lennon
- Only Child – Jackson Browne
- Born to the Breed – July Collins
- Child’s Song – Tom Rush
- Sunshine – Ferron
- My Father’s House – Kenny Loggins
- Forever Young – The Pretenders
Love Songs for the Time of Tiny – “A collection of music for babies and parents falling in love. These songs were compiled onto one CD by one of my Kindermusik moms, Kimberly Sgroi, when her second child was born in 2013. I am so grateful she shared this music with me, and I still listen to it frequently. I have even purchased several of the CD’s from which these songs came.
- The Things We’ve Handed Down – Art Garfunkel
- A Child is Born – Barbara Streisand
- Welcome to the World – Nicolette Larson
- One in a Million – Lisa Vischer
- Dormi, Dormi – Eugene Ruffolo
- Angel Baby – Linda Ronstadt
- Starlight, Starbright – Nicolette Larson
- I Will – Art Garfunkel
- Getting to Know You – James Taylor
- Before You Grow – Faith Hill
- For Baby (For Bobbie) – John Denver
- Rockin’ My Baby to Sleep – Nicolette Larson
- Lasso the Moon – Art Garfunkel
- Turtle Dove – traditional – Kindermusik version from Away We GO
- Child of Mine – Carole King
- The Moment I Saw You – Nicolette Larson & Graham Nash
- Last Night the Moon was Still – Justin Roberts
- May their Always be Sunshine – traditional – Kindermusik version on Dream Pillow
Kindermusik recordings can be heard and downloaded from play.kindermusik.com.
Full Albums by artists that focus on the parenting experience:
Sweet Honey in the Rock – Experience… 101
This music is purely and richly vocal, with just percussion accompaniment. – Read more about this awesome album at:http://store.musicforlittlepeople.com/3061.html
Eddie Coker – Seven Songs (esp. Keep Shining)
Linda Ronstadt – Dedicated to the One I Love
- Dedicated to the One I Love [Lowman Pauling- Ralph Bass]
Be My Baby [Phil Spector- Jeff Barry- Ellie Greenwich]
In My Room [Brian Wilson- Gary Usher]
Devoted to You [Boudleaux Bryant]
Baby I Love You [Phil Spector- Jeff Barry- Ellie Greenwich]
Devoted to You (instrumental) [Boudleaux Bryant]
Angel Baby [Rosalie Hamlin]
We Will Rock You [Brian May]
Winter Light [Zbigniew Preisner- Eric Kaz- Linda Ronstadt]
Brahms’ Lullaby [Johannes Brahms]
Good Night [John Lennon- Paul McCartney]
Specific Songs that apply from Specific Albums
- Teach Your Children – Crosby, Stills, and Nash
- Sunrise, Sunset – Barbara Streisand – Fiddler on the Roof
- Cats in the Cradle – Harry Chapin
- Butterfly Kisses – Bob Carlisle – This has also been made into a book with a cassette.
- In My Daughter’s Eyes – Martina McBride
- Mama – Spice Girls
- My Little Girl – Tim McGraw
- Mama Look A Boo-Boo – by Harry Belefonte (makes me laugh every time !)
Which songs help you celebrate the joy of parenting, to get you through the tough days, to make you smile to know you are not the only one going through these feelings…?
Happy Mother’s Day! Happy Father’s Day! and Happy Parenting with MUSIC!
Liam Gallagher calls brother Noel a “gobs***e” for still playing Oasis songs live.
I love music. Kids love music. The problem is, some people purporting to make children’s “music” obviously hate parents. They’re probably not too keen on children either, come to think of it. Just because they’re young doesn’t mean they don’t have any taste. I’m not against spinning the occasional silly songs collection (although I do draw the line at pop covers sung by children). But let’s face it: calling some of this stuff garbage is an insult to garbage.
R-Kelly took the time to dedicate one song to his mother off the classic 12 Play album. R-Kelly had a way of putting something new on that old school sound. Considering that most of the songs on “12 Play” were about making love or bumping and grinding this one would stand out.